What should I consider when selecting an outdoor flush mount light?
As a source of illumination and style for undersized spaces, outdoor flush mount fixtures are integral additions to an exterior lighting plan. Before selecting fixtures for your space, consider the following factors:
- Overall Clearance and Height of the Ceiling: Because these lights will be mounted to ceilings, it’s important to determine a space’s dimensions. Some flush mount pendants, like bulkhead lights, feature narrow profiles, and can be mounted to almost any ceiling regardless of its height. Other fixtures incorporate larger shades which lowers their projection from the mounting surface.
- Damp vs. Wet Location: Wet locations are areas where lighting fixtures are directly exposed to all types of precipitation: rain, snow, etc. Damp settings are defined as areas with moisture or humidity in the air, but not direct contact with water. Screened porches and well-covered front porches are often considered damp settings. Because flush mounts conceal their wires and electrical components behind rugged metal mounts and/or glass guards, there are many different options for both types of locations.
- Style and Customization Options: To help exterior décors adopt a truly unique aesthetic, our flush mount lights are easy to customize. That means all finishes, shade styles, and other accessories can be tailored to complement a space’s exact style!
How does flush mount lighting function in outdoor spaces? What styles are available?
Character matters when establishing a home or business’s curb appeal. Thanks to their smaller stature, flush mount lights provide the extra aesthetic details that can elevate an outdoor décor. To complement any building’s previously established décor, various shade and lighting styles are available with this space-saving mounting.
- Bulkhead Fixtures and Other Nautical Designs
- RLM shades and Barn-Style Lighting
- Rugged Industrial Lights
- New Contemporary Styles
What’s the difference between a flush mount pendant and a semi-flush mount light?
There are two basic categories of flush mount lighting to consider for outdoor settings. Designed for areas with ceilings where other mounting styles, such as cord pendant lights, would hang too low, standard flush mount lights rest directly against the ceiling. For spaces with more clearance, semi-flush lights slightly suspend the shade from the ceiling while still providing the aesthetic and practical benefits associated with the mounting.